Side fat is generally called as love handles. Love handles look very unappealing and can be quite hard to get rid of. When you notice fat on the sides of your abdomen, you may think that it can be reduced by performing ab exercises. But it is never going to work in that way. You should go for certain exercises to target the obliques, a group of muscles in the abdomen.
Most exercises can aid in toning your target areas, but in order to get rid of that fat, fat loss through diet and cardio should be your priority. Until and unless you get rid of that extra fat, your target areas cannot be ready to look toned. Without a healthy diet, your exercises can never be a solution to your concerns. So, eat lean and eat clean. Keep reading to find out 5 exercises which are the best to get rid of your love handles or side fat.
1. Leg lifts
Leg lifts is a simple exercise to get rid of the side fat. It is very convenient to the beginners as well.
- Start by lying on the floor or a yoga mat.
- Keep your body in completely in contact with the ground.
- Let your arms be straight and under your bum.
- Lift your legs slowly into the air, the higher you can.
- Bring your legs down but do not touch the floor.
- Repeat for 15 times.
- Do not bend your legs while performing this exercise, keep them straight.
2. Side plank circles
Side plank circles can be somewhat challenging to beginners. For those who are familiar and well practiced with plank pose, they can opt for this effective exercise.
- First, lay down on your side on a yoga mat.
- Get yourself into the position of a side plank.
- Let your knees close to the floor.
- Now slowly lift the upper leg into the air until it is horizontal to the ground. Keep it straight.
- Start making big circles in the air with that leg.
- Draw 20 circles in a clockwise direction and 20 in an anticlockwise direction.
- Repeat in the same way on your other side.
3. Side bends with dumbbells
Adding dumbbells to side bending stretches is an advanced version to target the obliques. Just pick out dumbbells of favourable weight and get started.
- Stand straight and let your feet be apart of hip width.
- Hold a dumbbell in each hand.
- Bend your waist on one of your sides.
- Stretch your opposite arm holding a dumbbell in the same direction over your head.
- Come back to keeping your body straight and arm down.
- Repeat for 20 times.
- Do the same on the other side of your waist.
Woodchoppers is a fun way of exercising. You should just imitate the action of chopping trees in the woods. Grab a single dumbbell to perform this exercise. If you do not have dumbbells, use a bottle filled with water instead.
- Stand straight and hold the dumbbell with both hands.
- Maintain a hip width distance between your feet.
- Keep one foot light and let the other leg bear most of your body weight.
- Get the weight slightly up on the shoulder of the side on which you bear your body weight.
- Now in a chopping motion, quickly get the dumbbell to its opposite hip.
- Let your knees and legs to follow the twist.
- Now get it back to the top of your shoulder.
- Repeat for 20 times.
- Do it on your other side as well for 20 times.
5. Russian twists
Russian twists are a great way to target your side fat. They burn the fat in your obliques besides toning them. Do it as per the steps given below.
- Start by firmly sitting on the ground while keeping your knees straight.
- Slightly raise both your knees such that your form a subtle arch above the ground.
- Use the support of your butt to sit firmly.
- Slightly lean your back and form a 45 degree angle with the ground.
- Cross the end of your legs, which are the ankles for a better balance and support.
- Maintain the posture and grab a dumbbell with both your hands.
- Now comes the time for the tough part.
- Twist your core or torso to one of your sides and place the dumbbell on the ground.
- Twist to the other side and place the dumbbell on the ground just beside your body.
- Repeat for 15 times on each side alternatively.
So, these are some of the best exercises to say bye to those love handles! There are many other exercises like forming a triangle, starfish, tummy tucks, oblique crunches, hip dips etc if you wish for a change in your routine. All of these are effective if you are consistent and dedicated to losing the fat.